Introduction to Git & GitHub
This workshop will take you through the basic use of Git and GitHub. Git is a free and open source distributed version-control system designed to maintain code, track changes, recover old versions and collaborate with other developers.
Get you started with Git from zero (note that if you already use Git, this workshop will be too basic for you). We'll explore Git on the command-line and its interaction with GitHub. The following points will be addressed:
- Introduction, set-up & configurations
- Working locally: Create a repository, clone, edit, staging commits, commit & push
- Working with your history & logs
- Working in a project: Forking, branching & pull requests
- How to version control your code in Rstudio with GitHub
During the workshop, we also briefly discuss how you can set up a collaboration project.